Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Update

I had a biopsy done on Thursday on what I know refer to as Lumpy.  It was a most unpleasant experience.

Two weeks ago, I had an appointment with my Endocrinologist's nurse practitioner.  While there, I pointed Lumpy out to her.  She was quite concerned about its size and consistency.  So she toted me off the ultrasound room and asked the Doctor himself to take a look at it.  He didn't like the look of it either and decided I needed a biopsy.  But first he wanted me to take a week's worth of antibiotics.

So I did and returned a week later.  Now I have had a biopsy on my neck before.  As previously mentioned, I have hypothyroidism.  As a result of this, I developed nodules on my thyroid that had to be biopsied by this same doctor.  And so I knew when he started pointing that needle at the wrong spot in my neck (at my thyroid) that it was possible he had forgotten the real reason for my biopsy was Lumpy.

I asked him and he didn't answer.  Really???  You have a biopsy needle needlessly aimed at the wrong area of my neck and I am suppose to just lay there and take it?  Guess so.  So I let him biopsy both sides of my thyroid and then he moved onto Lumpy.  Oh, did I forget to mention that my doctor doesn't do any numbing?  Oh.Dear.Sweet.Jesus.  It was painful.  I couldn't move my neck afterwards.  Ugh.  He normally has such a good bedside manner so this experience was very disappointing.

He never did explain why he biopsied my thyroid too.  Did he see something that concerned him when he looked at it with the ultrasound?  Did he want to make sure that if Lumpy is cancer that it didn't spread to my thyroid?  Was it just time for an annual biopsy on my nodule and no one told me?

Anyway, since then, Lumpy has been very mad.  He has grown so that anyone can tell he is there.  He has grown so much, that I physically can not move my neck completely and a constant pain shoots up my neck in the base of my brain giving me a migraine and also down my neck giving me pain in my upper back.

Of course, being an impatient internet junkie, I have been researching swollen lymph nodes non stop.  I don't like anything I see.  The worst case scenario is cancer.  The best case scenario is it is related to my Rheumatoid Arthritis and another form of the disease is exposing itself to me.

The cancer part doesn't scare me for the reasons it should.  It scares me because it could mean chemo and radiation.  This could mean dying eggs and waiting to conceive for 2 years after treatment is over.  Could this situation be any worse???

Oh the wonders of the body.  Do they EVER cease?  

No comments:

Post a Comment