Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Cycle Day 32

One of major effects of the IUI I haven't posted about is the cramping.  The doctor informed me I might have some cramping while he jammed the sperm up there.  He did not tell me that I might cramp for a week however.

Don't get me wrong, the cramping isn't unmanageable.  It is annoying.  Oh except when having sex.  Ouch!  But the cramping was an unnecessary effect in my eyes.

I did some research on why I had some cramping.  What I came up with is that it is normal.  Typically sperm enters through the vagina and the cervix "washes" the sperm for you.  However, you kinda skip that with IUI.  Instead, a technician in the lab "washes" the sperm for you and then they inject it.  If the sperm is not washed, you will most likely experience cramping.  This is because there is stuff on the sperm that the cervix would take off if the cervix had been given a chance.

During my research, I discovered that if you ask the clinic to wash the sperm (spin it around) a little extra, you are less likely to experience this cramping.

It is looking like we will have that chance to ask for an extra wash.

Although you could have fooled me, I don't think I am pregnant.  I used a home pregnancy test yesterday despite my better judgement.  That would be 10 days post IUI (10dpiui).  It was negative.  I will still test on the 12th or maybe just the 14th to make sure, but things are not looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment